In 1885, Sheridan and Big Horn were organized as missions of St. John the Baptist "then St. Joseph's" Church in Buffalo. The Rev. Henry Bex of Cheyenne was the first resident priest. With the newspaper announcing his visits, it took Rev. Bex. four days to make the circuit of the missions,. On June 20, 1885 Fr. Bex celebrated Mass in Big Horn and the following week celebrated Mass in Sheridan. Thus, the first Mass in Sheridan as a mission was held in June 28, 1885.
Masses were said in the home of Robert J. and Mary Mills, with a small congregation and without a church building.
In 1888, Holy Name was formed as a Mission congregation under the leadership of Father E. J. Engelbrecht, pastor of Buffalo.
In August 1892 Father C. Scollen arrived in Sheridan and stayed until December of 1894. During this time, Holy Name built its first church in the eastern part of town. In 1894 the first Mass was held in the new church.
A larger church was needed. In 1901 construction began on East Loucks Street. The church was built of brick with stone finish, the church was 48 x 96 feet, with a 102 ft. spire. Dedication of this new church was held in 1902.
April 1, 1975 Bishop Newell officiated at the dedication of the current Holy Name Church, at Loucks and Connor Streets. The booklet prepared for the dedication is available in .pdf.
In 1985 Holy Name in Sheridan County celebrated 100 years as a Catholic parish.
During these many years the following priests have served as pastors of our Catholic Community; Father C. Scollen, Father Sasse, Father John Duffy, Father William J. Short, Father Frederick Kimmett, Father George Stoll, Father William Delaney, Father Eugene Sullivan, and Father Thomas Ogg.
Holy Name continues to grow families and faith. We are a blessed parish through our leadership in Ministries and community support. We recently conducted our first Ministry Fair with over 30 Ministries represented. Our vision for the future is to grow strong Stewardship and Volunteer leadership through the guidance of our Pastoral and Finance Councils and our Long Range Planning Committee.